Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rreview: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture (Fracture, #1)Title Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal, Young Adult
Series: Fracture (#1)
Publication Date: January 5, 2012.
Publisher: Walker Childrens
*SIGH* LOOK AT THAT COVER <3 (#coverlove)

I have been wanting to read this for such a long time. The cover was just so beautiful, everything about it - the dramatic face on the beautiful girl, the color scheme, the lake, the woods...the color scheme- drew me in. The blurb drew me in as well. I forgot about it after a while, but found it while nook browsing the other day. From page one, I THOUGHT I knew it was one of those books that have so much potential that they never live up to. And I know, that's probably starting on the wrong note for this review, but the reason I said that is because I'd like to inform you all that this author proved my initial feeling wrong. This was much better than I expected.
I'll give Miranda this- it was easy to imagine that I was being the one drowning in the first chapter(s). I could feel the water over me, the fear. She does a great job with that part. And of course, though the concept of the book isn't as original as one might think,the characters did develop- most of them, anyway. I have to say that I feel that the main character, Delaney, did develop from the beginning of the story to the end. Not in a BIG BIG way, but really, she was a lot less annoying and selfish. I saw so much depth and complexcity in all of the characters. I also really enjoyed how the main character, Delaney, WAS A REAL PERSON. In the way that she tried her best to have great relationships with everyone around her as well as wanted to have a real life and education. She has goals- the author obviously knew her character well. And the fact that the parents weren't so obscenely absent from Delaney's life was great- you never find parents in YA novels anymore, with the Mortal Instruments series and Unearthly being an example of books that DO happen to have parents. Have you noticed that those two books are also very succesful? Yes, the author did a good job with having the parents involved in her life, but not to the point that it prevented the characters from being teenagers. The relationship between Decker and Delaney is very complex and it is hard for me to put into words- they had some issues throughout the book that had been there for quite a while and needed to be solved. The hot, mysterious, cliched love interest, Troy V, was a bit too sulky and tortured and emo for my liking, but he was sympathetic enough- as well as alluring enough to make you want to keep reading [about him]. At the beginning, I felt like she [Delaney' was acting so superior, so above it all. Like, "Oh, yeah, and then this happened, but whatever. Oh and then that, but i mean, whatever, so." She just had this attitude and I couldn't really bring myself to like her at the first few chapters. But when she raged, it made me think, maybe I should stay open minded.And as the story went on, I grew to really care for and like Delaney and her story. I think she was well written in the end and I feel like her story was really good. She's like a friend now. Another thing was that after I first met Decker, I thought he was a jerk. He seemed to just want to go and kept dismissing Delaney at the beginning of the story, and I couldn't tell if he was mad at her or what- he just seemed to be annoyed by her, like she was his little sister who kept following him around and he couldn't care less. After the book went on, I started to like him better. I guess the author's strongest points as a writer is how well she develops and writes her characters- they felt so real, and yet had more depth than many people I know today. I kept stopping and thinking to myself, "These are people I could be friends with." The writer had me go from thoroughly disliking her character to really caring for and appealing to them. I think this book shouldn't be a series, and should only have one other book at most, but it was so great to have some great, 3-D, believable characters, because in most YA now a days all you see are Mary-Sues. The story itself could have been told a little better, and I sadly admit I knew what was coming from five pages away before it happened, but it was a nice plot and I really, really enjoyed the characters- something that can make or break a book. In the end, It deserves a solid 3.5 stars, because though it was NOT horrible, I feel as if there were some flaws and things that could have been avoided. Me rating a debut author a 3.5 is really something, since this is their first novel and usually I place debut authors in a solid 2 star rating. However, I feel like this book was very well written overall and that the author has a lot of potential. This story did warm my heart a few times, and overall was greater than I expected it to be- I think it measured up to the beauty of its cover, if not passed it a little bit. That's another exciting thing we never see in YA- When the content is more beautiful and good than the cover. A round of aplause to miss Megan Miranda. She really is someone to look out for in the future. Three and a half cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment